This blog has officially been live for 60 days and had over 3,800 unique visitors!
It’s even been fortunate enough to be featured on Hack A Day, and is currently ranked 14th on the all-time top posts in /r/iOSProgramming!
Since the blog has been live for a while, I decided it was time for some design improvements.
The First Design
When I started this blog I wanted the focus to be on one thing: high quality content. I wasn’t too concerned with the design of the site as long as it was easy to read and not an eye-sore.
After staring at the same design for two months, I thought it would be nice to improve the trimmings.
Here’s a screenshot of the first design:
It’s not awful, but it’s certainly not going to win any design awards. The theme was based on Poole, which is absolutely gorgeous, but was slowly hacked into something different. In the end, it just didn’t have the same beautiful simplicity found in the original theme.
I wanted to switch to something with more color. The index page can probably get away with a simple black-and-white list of posts, but the posts themselves felt a little bland.
After some searching, I discovered Thinny 2, a great new theme for Jekyll created by Ian Camporez.
Thinny 2 makes great use of post images, or covers, that take up a large portion of the top of the screen. The first thing the user sees when opening a post is a beautiful image and the post title. Much better than a wall of text!
I updated every post with new cover images. Here are some of the best, in case you missed them:
There are a few changes I’d like to make, but this should be a good start to a more permanent theme. Let me know what you think in the comments!
Update: I’ve since switched to the Poole theme!